California appeals judge’s ruling striking down assault weapons ban

Published by
Reuters

(Reuters) – California officials on Thursday said the state has appealed a federal judge’s decision to strike down its three-decade-old ban on assault-style weapons, saying the law is needed to prevent gun deaths. The appeal challenges last week’s ruling from U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez of San Diego that the law illegally infringes upon the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment, which guarantees the right of citizens to bear arms. Governor Gavin Newsom and Attorney General Rob Bonta told a news conference outside a San Francisco hospital they were confident the decision was flawed and wou…

Read More

Share this Story
Load More Related Articles
Load More In US News

Facebook Comments

Check Also

U.S. Justice Dept. to ‘strengthen’ policies on getting lawmakers’ records

Published by Reuters By Jan Wolfe and Lisa ...

Archives