What happens to Social Security if I marry my same-sex partner?

Published by

Q. I am 70 years old on full Social Security and working part time. I’m thinking of marrying my same-sex partner of 26 years who is on Social Security disability. When we marry, there will be no name change, no new address, no change to any bank accounts or anything whatsoever. Will getting married change our Social Security in any way at all? And if I died first, would she be able to collect my benefit, which is larger than hers? — Spouse-to-be A. Congratulations on your long-term relationship. We’re glad you’re asking about Social Security benefits ahead of time. Before we proceed, keep in m…

Read More

Share this Story
Load More Related Articles
Load More In Wall Street